Kale Quesadilla! with finely shredded kale, red bell peppers, red onions, cumin, and cheddar cheese
PREP TIME5 mins
COOK TIME15 mins
TOTAL TIME20 mins
Corn would also be a good addition to this quesadilla. If you have some corn in your freezer, just toss a few kernels in with the pepper and onion sauté.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced kale (remove center rib from kale before slicing)
- 1/4 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup of grated mild cheddar
- 2 flour tortillas (use corn tortillas for gluten-free version)
- Sauté bell pepper, onion, add cumin, kale:Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and red onion, cook until softened, about 3 minutes.Sprinkle with ground cumin. Add the thinly sliced kale and toss to combine. Cook a minute more on medium high, then lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes until kales is cooked through and softened, remove from heat.
Heat the tortilla:
2. Heat a large cast iron pan on medium high to high heat. Spread a little butter over the bottom of the pan. Place a flour tortilla in the pan and heat until you see bubbles of air pockets starting to form. Then flip the tortilla over and lower the heat to medium.
Add cheese and kale filling to tortilla:
3. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Place a couple scoops of the kale pepper onion mixture on one side of the tortilla.
Fold the other side of the tortilla over the side with the kale. Press down with a spatula. When the cheese on one side has melted, flip the tortilla over to the other side.
When the cheese on that side has melted, remove to a cutting board and repeat with the other tortilla and the remaining cheese and filling.
4. Cut the “kale”sadilla into thirds and serve.
Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Italian Sausage Sauce
Fettuccine pasta with a rich and creamy, tomato and Italian sausage sauce. Absolute crowd pleaser.
PREP TIME6 mins
COOK TIME45 mins
TOTAL TIME51 mins
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 pound spicy or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup whipping cream
2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
1 tablespoon dried sage
3/4 pound fettuccine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat water for pasta:Put a large pot of salted water on to boil (1 Tbsp salt for every 2 quarts of water). While the pasta water is heating, prepare the sauce in the next step.
- Cook shallots and garlic:Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage:Break up the sweet and spicy Italian sausages as you add them to the pan. Toss with the shallots, increase the heat to medium high, and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream:and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, their juices, and the sage:Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Cook the pasta:The pasta water should be boiling by now. After the sauce has simmered for about 5 minutes, add the pasta to boiling salted water and cook, uncovered at a rolling boil, until the pasta is al dente, cooked through but still a little firm to the bite.Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce:and add a little of the reserved pasta water if dish seems dry.Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese to serve.